Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A final post about Uganda.

I'm currently writing this from Gainesville -- having left Uganda three days ago. My last few days in Kampala were a blur; after Erin left, I spent a lot of time updating my blog and seeing Sam, who sort of became my boyfriend at the very last minute.

My last night in Kampala, as Sam was driving Olivia and me to dinner, my bag was stolen. Another boda boda driver zoomed up on the right, grabbed my bag, and kept driving. It left a big nasty bruise on my upper arm where the strap snagged, but it was mostly just really shocking. I had thought I was immune from crime -- after all, if I can make it nine months in South Africa without falling victim, surely I can weather Kampala? Well, my hubris got me in the end. The bag had my camera, my iPod, about 100,000 UGX (~$40), my sunglasses, my driver's license, Penn ID card, etc., in it. Plus, the bag itself was really fantastic -- nice leather, big and pouchy, with a perfectly located cell phone holding spot. I was pretty bummed.

I called my dad and asked him to cancel my cards, and Olivia and I went on to dinner anyway. It wasn't very pleasant, although we were at Mediterraneo, which is one of my favorite restaurants in Kampala. It was pouring rain to start with, and I was still in shock from getting robbed. We had both planned to be a bit decadent, but our money reserves were suddenly cut in half, so we didn't do anything special like even order a bottle of wine to commemorate my last night. We did splurge for a special hire home in the rain.

The last day was uneventful. Diane called me early in the morning to say someone had dropped off my driver's license and Penn ID card, etc., at the motel -- I had Bruno's business card in my wallet, and I guess the boda driver who stole my bag dumped what he didn't think was useful by the Kololo airstrip, including that business card.That also included my driver's license and Penn ID, and also -- oddly -- my ATM card, though that was long canceled. He had taken the credit card (which doesn't make sense; nowhere in Kampala accepts credit card?), the camera and the iPod of course. He didn't even dump the wallet itself, which cost $5 at Target. The stuff I got back had clearly been in a puddle on the ground when the returnee found it. But still, I was glad to have my license and Penn ID back, as those would have been a hassle to replace.

I had to go to the Surgery to get my INR checked one more time, and Sam came to pick me up and bring me home. He hung out in the apartment for a while, and then abruptly got up and left about 3:30pm. Thankfully, no big dramatic goodbye, although I wish it had been a little less strained -- I think he felt guilty for being the one driving us when my bag got stolen. Still, it was sad to see him go. I'm really going to miss him.

Olivia had grand plans of making us butter lemon chicken for my last dinner, which we started to do... but the power cut out in the middle of our cooking. So we scrambled to make do with the already-heated stove tops, and it wasn't half bad actually. Not her best showing, but not terrible either. Diane came over to say a proper goodbye, which was also melancholy. Luckily, Bruno was still in Gulu, so I didn't have to say goodbye to him -- that one would have been hard.

The trip home itself was eventful -- I got kicked off the plane in Amsterdam (long story; no need to note it here) and ended up wandering around pitifully in the rain looking for a hotel that would take me for the $200 I had on hand. At some point in my wanderings, I put down and forgot to pick up almost all the beautiful African art I had bought throughout the summer. I finally found a hotel for 69 euros, and I slept all afternoon and all night; I was exhausted. I got on the same flight to Atlanta the next day, but my bags didn't make it to the United States, so that was another fun adventure. I did eventually make it home, where I lodged a missing bag "report" (I don't know what to call it?). I was initially told they had gone on my original flight to Orlando. Then they said they couldn't find them at all. When I called today, they said they had come in on that day's flight from Amsterdam, would clear customs, and then fly into Gainesville. They should have gotten here about five hours ago, but I still haven't heard anything.

So, my wonderful summer in Kampala ended on a rather sour note. But that doesn't change the really lovely friendships I made, the great times I had in and around Kampala (and outside Uganda!), and the fact that the summer really helped me decide what I want to do professionally and where I want to do it. Doing refugee rights was interesting, but it really confirmed that what I want to work on is HIV/AIDS policy and legal work, and I want to do it in Africa. Preferably South Africa, but I feel less picky than I was before spending three and a half months in Kampala -- I'm pretty sure I could be happy in Kampala too, and that's about as different from Cape Town as you can get. So I guess anywhere is fair game now. But I know for sure that I want to be in Africa, among Africans, helping Africa.

Lessons learned.

1 comment:

  1. Geez - what a bummer of a way to leave such a wonderful trip! Just glad you are ok - everything else - no big deal. But am sure it put a damper on the last day or so. Glad you are home safe and sound - even though am sure you were very sad to leave. But knowing exactly what your future plans are going to be is quite a take away! Can't wait to see you and hear more about your adventures in person. Let us know when would be a good Saturday or Sunday for us to drive down and take you out to lunch! We miss you! Love Lise

    ReplyDelete