Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A best friend visits -- part three.

On Monday, Erin and I got up late (as usual), and Sam came to get us. We went to Endiro Coffee, a nice little cafe/restaurant in Kisementi, where we got coffee and lunch. We sat around for a while thinking about what to do. I asked Sam if there was anything he had always wanted to do in Kampala, and he suggested that we go to K.K. Beach. I had been there once before, but it had started pouring as soon as we got there, so I figured it didn't count. So we went out to Ggaba Road on Sam's bike and I successfully navigated us to the beach. There were lots of people around and enjoying the water, which Erin and I couldn't go into because of schistosomiasis (a parasite that's in Lake Victoria). We decided to take a boat ride over to the "island," although it's actually just another part of Kampala -- apparently if you keep walking on the road, you end up in Mukono, which we passed on the way back from Mbale.



On the other side of the water, there was just one road that we walked along. We encountered lots of kids, including a group who were going to get water in jerrycans. They decided they were fascinated with holding our hands, which happens here frequently. At one point, I had four kids arguing over who got to hold my two hands. One girl kept jumping up and trying to feel our hair. They tried to steal my rings, I think mostly because they were shiny. Sam was quietly amused; they didn't pay him any attention at all.
 



We made it back to the boat sans children and rode back to the beach. We got sodas and sat at a picnic table on the beach until it got dark, and then we went back to the apartment. Sam stuck around and watched as Olivia tried to make passion fruit mousse from a recipe she had learned in Brazil. It called for something called "creme de leche" or "cream of milk," and we thought maybe whole milk cream would do the trick, but it didn't. Apparently she was trying to whip it into peaks, and it just got frothy. So that experiment was kind of a failure. We sat around in the dark with candles lit for a while, and then we all got tired so we kicked Sam out and went to sleep.

Tuesday was Erin's last day here, but she didn't leave until 11:30pm. We got up early and spent some time trading and editing photos, then we went to Fasika for lunch. It's this Ethiopian place in Kabalagala, and it's probably the best Ethiopian food I've ever had. Then we called Sam to come get us so we could go get photos printed for him -- he wanted some of the photos of him and me together. The nicest photos actually didn't transfer to my flash drive; the files wouldn't open at the photo place, but we still got him 15 photos of him doing touristy things in Kampala, and some with me. We went to get coffee at Good African Coffee, and then went back to the apartment and Erin packed. Olivia came home to say goodbye to Erin, and then Erin got in a taxi and left me. Wah.

All in all, it was a fantastic 10 days. I'm really glad she came, and I'm glad we stayed in Kampala -- because I got to really explore parts of Kampala I never saw (like the old taxi park and Owino market) and do a bit of adventuring in Sipi. Now I have three days before I leave Kampala, which is just insane. I'm really sad to be leaving, but I'm also in "winding down" mode and think I will be ready to go (or, as ready as you can be when you really, really want to stay somewhere) come Friday. Almost time to go back to reality.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie...hope you are still reading this in Kampala - not sure of your schedule. Somehow your blog post emails went into my junk email folder at work so am just reading these now. Gorgeous photos! You look so happy - and am thrilled that you had such a great time with Erin - nothing better than having your best bud with you to tour around. The waterfalls looked gorgeous. Can't wait to see your dress! Let us know when you're back in Philly, ok? We'd love to come down and take you out for lunch/dinner and SEE YOU! Safe journey home - and don't be too sad about leaving, ok? What an amazing adventure you've had! Love, Lise

    ReplyDelete