Saturday, July 30, 2011

A lull in blog posting.

So, it's been a while since I updated. This is partly because I'm fully ensconced in a routine that doesn't provide for many interesting anecdotes, but it's mostly because we never have any electricity in my flat when I'm home. In light of the fact that my battery life on this laptop is approximately three minutes, that means no internet when the power is out. And it's literally out for hours every night. At first, it would shut off around 6pm and come back on after an hour or two; these days, it's off when I get home even at 5:20pm, and it stays off until 11pm or midnight (or sometimes later). It has made eating dinner sort of a problem, as we only have an electric stove -- no electricity, no heat, no food. And above all, it's just boring to sit in the dark for hours.

I really don't have too much to report. I've been in Kampala the past few weekends, despite a few failed attempts at getting out of the city. Work is starting to wind down, especially this week. They don't want to give me anything that I won't be able to wrap up during my last days, which is totally understandable and also really boring. The highlight of my day these days is my ride home with Sam, who has become a really good friend. Every once in a while, he stays after we get to my apartment complex, which makes the interminable hours between 5pm and 7 or 8pm (when my other flatmates get home) much less mind-numbing.

And the power just went out (5:19pm), so this entry will have to do for now. More later!

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about the power. Aren't there bars or restaurants with generators, where people go to avoid the dark? And, anyhow, what tine does it GET dark? I guess the electric service interruptions provide a realistic "third world" aura!

    Tell us more about Sam, please.

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer re. the electricity. No lights, no internet...sounds like camping to me...which = hell! :) Speaking of camping - we're off to our annual Cleveland gang camping trip this coming weekend. Ahh...the things I do for love! When do you head home? When can we see you!! xo Lise

    ReplyDelete